Subject: Re: 1.0 Binary XFree86-3.1 Keyboard Problem?
To: None <rens@imsi.com>
From: Terry Moore <tmm@databook.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/1995 12:10:12
> Running NetBSD 1.0 with the 1.0-port supplied binaries of XF86-3.1 on
> several different machines, I find that the keyboard locks up after
> 3-5 minutes of use. Mouse and other events still work; just the
> keyboard goes dead.
>
> Rebuilding XF86-3.1 on R6pl6 fixed the problem for me; no more
> keyboard hangs.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? If so, the 1.0 binaries should
> probably be replaced with ones that work, for the sanity of people who
> want to get 1.0.

I just brought up NetBSD 1.0 with the XF86 3.1 binaries from the Walnut
Creek NetBSD/FreeBSD CDROM, and have had no troubles with the XF stuff
of the kind you describe.  My platforms are 486DX4s/8M ram clones, with
Cirrus 5424 clone controller.  The middle button on the "three button
Microsoft mouse" does not work, but other than that things are working
very well.

I have not delved deeply, but I have no evidence that the CD-ROM
distribution is other than the standard XF86-3.1 distribution -- it
says "for NetBSD 1.0_BETA", for whatever that is worth.  Perhaps
someone with more information can comment on the patch level of the
XF86 binary portion of the Walnut Creek CDROM.

--Terry Moore
Databook Inc.