Subject: Re: Talk program compatible with otalk
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/1995 04:25:05
Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:
> >I'm looking for a talk program that will communicate with talk on
> >systems that only have otalkd (such as Solaris).  In the past I've
> >used ytalk, but now I'm unable to get it working on NetBSD.  It
> >compiles fine, but always fails with various errors such as "no
> >talk deamon on this machine".
>
> I was under the impression that otalk passes the address of the remote
> machine via a struct sockaddr, and this structure differs between big/little
> endian machines.  So if you're using an i386 with otalk to communicate
> with a sparc, it shouldn't work (ytalk might compensate for this ... dunno).

Ytalk does compensate for the problem, or at least used to for me.

> I don't suppose installing new talk on the solaris box is an option?

Unfortunately no, due to bureaucratic difficulties.  Besides, even
if I got the Brown CS administration to install ntalk, that's not
entirely the point.  Lots of people run SunOS and Solaris and have
not installed ntalk.  I'd like to be able to talk with these people
without asking them to install new software.

	Mark
Email: Mark_Weaver@brown.edu           | Brown University
PGP Key: finger mhw@cs.brown.edu       | Dept of Computer Science