Subject: Re: one more file ignored by CVS
To: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/1995 13:23:53
[ On Thu, February  2, 1995 at 11:50:46 (-0500), Niklas Hallqvist wrote: ]
> Subject: one more file ignored by CVS
>
> Hmm, I don't know if I consider this a change-request or not.  I just
> stepped on another file being ignored by CVS:
> usr.bin/vi/USD.doc/vi.ref/ref.so
> CVS thinks this is a shared object and therefore ignores it by
> default.  This can be fixed in either of two ways, change my CVS
> strategy or change filename.  I'm not sure what's best.  I like the
> strategy of CVS as it is, but I also dislike renaming random files
> every here and there.  What do people think?

CVS won't ignore the file if you tell it not to (i.e. add it to the
repository).  The ignore list is only used for importing new modules,
and for checking the status of files in the working directory, but not
in the CVS/Entries file of that working directory.  (I.e. when "*.so" is
in the ignore list, "cvs update" won't complain with "? ref.so" if the
file "ref.so" exists, but isn't in the repository and the CVS/Entries
file, however if you "cvs add ref.so" it will be managed as normal).

FYI, I've found it essential to always use "cvs import -I !" when
importing stuff for the first time, since it's very rare that I want to
ignore some file delivered as part of a distribution of a third party
source product.

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP		robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; UniForum Canada <woods@uniforum.ca>