Subject: Network Performance via PPP.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <bachesta@angst.tera.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/1995 11:01:16
Hi Gang,

I've noticed a problem, that unfortunately I don't have a lot
of specifics on. But here what I know and perhaps someone
can enlighten me so I can resolve it. I'm running a NetBSD 1.0
system as a internet gateway. Its running PPP with a 28.8K baud modem.
The CPU is an AMD 486 DX2 80 and 16Megs of RAM. I get about 500-700
people a day, or about 2000-3000 http GETS. So the link is used a fair
amount. When I initially boot the machine the latency to my provider
as measured by ping, is about 150msec. At some point in a 24 hour period
the latency gets quite bad, about 2000-3000 msec for the same ping. The
traffic during these tests is none to minimal. This is based on the
send/receive  lights on the modem. When I do a top the CPU has a very
light load. Memory is looks fine too, no swapping. The routing
tables are the unchanged from the boot state. All indications, that
I can think of, are fine except for the network performance. If I
reboot the system everything is great again. Since I would rather not
reboot 1 or 2 times a day I would love to solve this problem. I didn't
notice this problem until my network load via PPP started getting large.
If I remember right it was when I got to about 1000 http GETS per day. Does
anyone have any insight to this problem. I'm currenlty updating to the
current tree to see if the problem was addressed either directly, or
indirectly through other bug fixes.

Thanks,

Jim Bachesta
bachesta@tera.com