Subject: Re: `use sup' not tar balls ....
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/1995 11:11:36
Excerpts from mail: 12-Jan-95 Re: `use sup' not tar balls.. Ted
Lemon@vix.com (346)

> I wonder how useful a daily context diff would be?   It might be small
> enough that people who care could just have it automagically mailed to
> them...

Excerpts from mail: 12-Jan-95 Re: `use sup' not tar balls.. Chris G
Demetriou@LAGAVU (209)

> except it's not at all trivial to generate.

I'll actually agree with cgd on this one :-).

I think a `pull by demand' approach would be better and safer.
Following on from this, the simplest pull approach I'm aware of is
requesting entire files.  While true, it isn't as efficient as diffs, it
is much simpler and far more reliable.  Remember the war? (MINIX patches
:-)

With a checksum files, CVS updates (I've got all of them going back to
1.0!) and an efficient way of picking up batches of files, tracking the
bits of current I need should be `easy' ........

Thanks to those that have come forward with alternative ftp sites to
enable me to get things set up. I'll follow this up.

	thanks,
		Andrew

PS: Another batch of mail just turned up on this looking at it,  I think
it vaguely agrees with this.