Subject: Re: Time zones?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@nirvana.good.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1995 20:58:47
> I don't think the kernel's timezone is used for anything but
> compatability with _really_ old binaries.

The kernel timezone is used to give the difference between the real
time clock and GMT.  This is used for things like PC's where the
RTC may be wall clock time.

> > Is there something obvious that I need to configure and am just not
> > finding in the man pages?  Obviously I haven't been able to run the
> > installation scripts yet...
>
> /etc/timezone or /etc/zoneinfo or something like that.  You need to
> make a (sym)link from some known pathname to the appropriate file for
> your location's timezone rules.  In my case this would be something
> like Canada/Eastern, for example.

If you want any messages before /usr is mounted or in single user mode to
have the right timezone, /etc/localtime needs to be a copy (since the
softlink points nowhere before /usr is mounted).  Minor nit...
--
Mark