Subject: Re: Sun 3 port (Yes!)
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
From: Adam Glass <glass@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1995 17:16:38
> On Jan 12,  2:32pm, Gordon W. Ross wrote:
> > The eventual goal of NetBSD/Sun3 is to be able to install NetBSD on a
> > Sun3 without requiring any sun binaries at all.  A secondary goal is
> > to be able to run SunOS binaries.
>
>  Now thats funny. NetBSD-Amiga seems to be able to run SunOS binaries
> already ... Why should be a seconday goal if others can do it already?
>
> --
> Markus Illenseer

NetBSD/sun3 runs them too....What that sentence is trying to say is that:

	* most of all we want to build a free unix for sun3s that doesn't
		require sunos to install.

	* A second priority is making sunos binaries run.

The fact is that the second task was actually completed a long time
ago by leveraging the sunos compat work that had been done for the
sparc port.  This compat code was generalized a bit, and is now used
by most of the 68k ports so that they can run sun3 sunos binaries and
by the sparc port to run sparc sunos binaries.

The point is that running sunos binaries is cute, but not the point of
the effort.