Subject: Re: `use sup' not tar balls ....
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1995 15:31:42
> The only way i can see to make it reliable is to tag the tree,
> update the tree, rdiff the tree (between the tags), then delete the
> tags.  That's non-trivial, and it also involves writing to every
> archive file in the tree, a couple of times.

What I had in mind is a bit less intensive than that - you tag the
tree every day with a tag that's the name of the current day.   Then
you rdiff between yesterday's tag and todays, and update the tree to
today's tag.   You never delete tags, because they're overwritten
anyway the next week.

You're right, though - it is a bit I/O intensive.   I've been thinking
for a long time that it would be a win to add the ability to do
multiple operations in one traversal to cvs, so that you could do the
diff, the tag (if you wanted to - it would no longer be required) and
the update all at once.   When I was at NCD, we spent more time
tagging and diffing trees than anything else, because we wanted to get
the release process *right*.   It worked, but it was a real drag.

			       _MelloN_
--
Ted Lemon							 mellon@vix.com
+1 415 477 5045

Fight to preserve your freedom to program: Join the League for
Programming Freedom!   For info, contact lpf@uunet.uu.net.