Subject: Sun 3 port (Yes!)
To: None <tjw1@doc.ic.ac.uk>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@jericho.mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1995 14:32:59
> From: tjw1@doc.ic.ac.uk (Tim Walls)
> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 17:22:02 +0000

> Hiya folks - very quick question;
>
>   I'm running NetBSD/Amiga (so I know there is a 680x0 port), but
> does anyone know if there is a port for the Sun 3 (an 020 based machine)?
>
>   If so, could you point me at a FAQ etc.; cheers,
>     Tim.

Yes there is a sun3 port!  I've attached some information about it.
If you'd like to join the mailing list for the NetBSD/sun3 port, send
mail to: <Majordomo@NetBSD.org> with the body:  subscribe port-sun3

To retieve the latest copy of the attached information do:

	ftp ftp.netbsd.org
	cd /pub/NetBSD/arch/sun3
	get README
	get doc.tar.gz

[ latest doc/sun3/README and doc/sun3/STATUS follows ]

# $Id: README,v 1.3 1994/07/30 05:14:24 gwr Exp $ -*- text -*-

NetBSD/Sun3 release

	by Adam Glass and Gordon Ross

This README describes the NetBSD/Sun3 release as it stands today.
This release consists of sup directions for getting the NetBSD kernel
sources including the Sun3 port, some bootstrapping software, some
really minimal documentation and copies of relevant third party
sources.

The eventual goal of NetBSD/Sun3 is to be able to install NetBSD on a
Sun3 without requiring any sun binaries at all.  A secondary goal is
to be able to run SunOS binaries.

The intent of this release is to provide enough infrastructure and
such that people can hack on the Sun3 port.  In particular, a lot of
driver work is known to be needed.  There are also parts of the port
that have not been completely exercised and are likely to have bugs.

This port was hosted under SunOS, i.e configed, and compiled.  It
should be possible to host it on another system as long as (currently)
the target architecture/os is SunOS, and you can get the necessary
tools compiled.

You'll need to get the sources for the NetBSD kernel, and some tools.
Directions for how to do this can be found in the file SUP.

Getting some of these tools up under SunOS is a bit of a pain, so I've
included enough binaries that you can sidestep this problem for the
moment.  Getting the compilation environment setup is described in
"ENVIRONMENT"

A full description of how to build/test a NetBSD/sun3 kernel can be
found in "BUILDING".

A list of things people might work on can be found in TODO.

The port sources can be found in src/sys/arch/sun3.

I've also included relevant code from other sources (Sprite, Mach3)
that may be useful for reference (see: othersrc/{mach3,sprite})

Please send any bugs, commments, etc. to:  port-sun3@netbsd.org

Here is a tour of the tree:

doc/sun3/README			this document
doc/sun3/STATUS			summary of port status
doc/sun3/INSTALL		how to install the binary snapshot
doc/sun3/SUP			Instructions on how to use SUP
doc/sun3/ENVIRONMENT		tells you how to setup an environment in
				which you can compile NetBSD/Sun3 kernels.
doc/sun3/BUILDING	 	tells you how to build a NetBSD/sun3 kernel
				and how to test it.
doc/sun3/TODO			TODO list
doc/autoconfig.ps.gz		documentation on the autoconfig design

othersrc			src from sprite, and mach3 for reference
xbin/sun3			some sun3 SunOS binaries included.
				Their use is described in ENVIRONMENT...

*.tar.gz			some NetBSD/m68k binaries.
				also described in ENVIRONMENT...

In the actual sources:

src/sys/arch/sun3		NetBSD/sun3 port-specific sources

# $Id: STATUS,v 1.2 1994/07/30 05:08:38 gwr Exp $ -*- text -*-

Status Summary:

The NetBSD/sun3 port runs on most Sun3 machines, including:

	Sun3/{50,60,110,160,260}

Devices currently supported include:

	Intel Ether (ie), on-board or VME
	Lance Ether (le), on-board
	SCSI (sd,st,...), on-board or VME
	keyboard/display console
	serial port (ttya/ttyb) console

Other Features:

	Generic kernel supports root on: sd[0123], ie0, le0
	Kernel debugger included (ddb)
	Runs SunOS binaries (see sparc sun shared lib notes)

There's still a lot left to do  (see doc/sun3/TODO).