Subject: Re: `use sup' not tar balls ....
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1995 16:09:24
Hello,

(I've unfortunatly lost the original message).

To summarize an earlier posting, it was pointed out that those intending
to track current should be using SUP and not the TarBalls. Unfortunatly,
not everyone trying to track NetBSD-current, is able to establish an IP
level connection to a sup server.

While it is unreasonable to expect the core team to bend over backwards
to help such people (like me :-), a few services that would life a
little easier should, maybe be established.  If not done on NetBSD.org,
perhaphs a shadow site could manage it, perhaphs one already does...

	o	local only ftp-mail server (rather then waiting 3 days for gatekeeper)
		A server that packed a list of files into a single encoded compressed tar
		archive regardless of the size would be ideal :-)

	o	(weekly?) checksum's listings of the various parts of the source tree.
		Down loading this is cheaper then an entire tar ball.
		(I've raised this one before, while I accept that it isn't ideal, and carries
		with it certain risks, it is certainly better then how things
currently stand)

Any thing to ease the pain appreciated :-)

					Andrew