Subject: Adding Perl as a scripting tool? (was Re: Packages for NetBSD)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/1995 16:08:39
Hmm,

To me this discussion on adding things to the default release can be
broken into two areas

	1.	Replacing tools with `extended' versions for end user ease of use.

		I'd put tcsh and bash into this category.

		I believe that others have already put forward strong arguments against
		the addition of these user convenience utilities.

	2.	New applications that may have become defacto members of the UNIX toolkit.

		I'd put perl and possibly tk/tcl into this category.

With these new scripting tools, I don't think the issue is asthetics.
Rather, I believe criteria such as:

	o	stability/maturity  (when was the last update?)
	o	availability
	o	level of use (and how many applications assume it is installed)
	o	user acceptance
	o	comercial acceptance (have comercial UNIX's started reconising its
existance?)
	o	overhead (something needing X isn't on)
	o	proven track record

are important.  If a given tool meets such criteria then perhaphs it
should be accepted into the standard NetBSD toolbox.

While I might think Perl sux, I'm still willing to entertain the
argument that its addition to the NetBSD stable would, on balance, be an
advantage.  Then again ...

		Andrew