Subject: Re: Package discussion.
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/1995 15:15:13
> 	(2) and get them to actually build and ship the packages
> 		(FOR MORE THAN ONE ARCHITECTURE  8-).

I'm more than willing to do a certain amount of this for the i386 and
pmax architectures, once the basic pmax distribution is more solid.
I'd definitely be happy to pick up emacs and Elk, for example.

However, I still think there's a reason to be having this discussion,
particularly wrt perl:  I don't want perl as an add-on that I can't
count on - I want it in the same part of the distribution that
includes /bin/sh, so that I can count on it at install time.

When I talk about install scripts, I'm not talking about the package
stuff - I suspect that that does everything I want.   What I'm talking
about is the script(s) that you run to configure your system
initially.   This is a slightly (but significantly) different problem
than the one the package system solves.

			       _MelloN_
--
Ted Lemon							 mellon@vix.com
+1 415 477 5045

Fight to preserve your freedom to program: Join the League for
Programming Freedom!   For info, contact lpf@uunet.uu.net.