Subject: Re: Packages for NetBSD (Was: Why are there two 4.4BSD dev. groups)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Dokas <pbd@winternet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/1995 14:07:40
> I think one good reason *not* to distribute them with NetBSD is that they
> evolve (patches, etc) outside of it.  Currently, NetBSD only requires to
> be updated with gcc (cc) and sendmail - I'm not aware of any other programs
> that are part of the NetBSD distribution which are "controlled" from outside
> of core.

Agreed, external packages should be just that, external.  The core NetBSD team
should not have to worry at all about them.  Let's let them do what they're
so good at;  getting out wonderful versions of NetBSD.

> Having said that, I'd like to voice support for anyone who is willing to
> put together add-on packages, which are (at least) binaries of the above
> with an installation program.

Ok, I'm ready and willing.  Could someone point me toward the pkgadd stuff.
I'll go digging in FreeBSD myself, but that could take a while.  So if you
know where it's at, then please email me.

paul
--
#include <stddisclaimer.h>            | Paul Dokas
Fnord!  Don't let the Gnomes get you. | pbd@winternet.com