Subject: Re: Packages for NetBSD (Was: Why are there two 4.4BSD dev. groups)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: George Michaelson <G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/1995 12:15:42
I would like to ask the core team to IGNORE almost all requests for additions
to base distrib, until each has been made available as a pkgadd. Only if there
is compelling reason to have it bundled during the install phase should it
be on the base sets.

Otherwise, please don't clutter the default release.

I too want perl and tk/tcl and emacs and and and, but I also want to keep
this thing simple. perl is about the ONLY one of these which maybe should
be there early on, but I am VERY skeptical even of this.

If somebody wants perl to calculate disk address offsets, making sure the
sums work for awk and/or bc and/or sh/expr would be very worth while.

GUI? do it with shell level termcap tsend sequences. screen clear/address
doesn't really take that much to do at shell level,  DEC managed it for SCAMP.

Post install, pkgadd is really the way to go.

-George