Subject: Re: Packages for NetBSD (Was: Why are there two 4.4BSD dev. groups)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: matthew green <mrg@mame.mu.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/1995 11:31:43
  	a) perl, tcsh, bash - Perl is just so useful to be able to depend

i really would like perl to be distributed with netbsd.  it's
already distributed with a large number of unix systems, and
more to come.  would core like to say why they haven't done
this so far?

the shells, well, no.  if you do one, you need to do them all,
and that's just too many.

              Personally there are a couple of other utils I consider just too
   	   nice *not* to have on a system - screen & top are my top two :)

i certainly build screen on every system i use.  it would be nice for
it to be in /usr/bin, but not nessicary.

   	b) X11R6 - So many people assume X should come as standard with a
   	   Unix system... and I guess it should - maybe as as seperate
   	   tar.gz file than the main OS, but surely on the same archive
   	   server!

most ports come with a R6 tar file, or something.  the sparc port
certainly does.   ;-)

.mrg.