Subject: Re: Why are there two 4.4BSD dev. groups
To: Michael Graff <explorer@vorpal.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@novatel.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/1995 21:59:50
"Michael Graff" <explorer@vorpal.com>  wrote:
 > That really bothers me.  Public image is important.  Goals along this
 > line should be to arrange commonly used packages into some sort of
 > release system.  Linux has a fairly good one I hear, and so does
 > FreeBSD.

John Kohl adapted FreeBSD's package software for NetBSD and released
some packages for it.  I've used it and it works well enough.  I keep
saying that if I get some more time, I'll create some more packages
but alas, that time hasn't come.

Perhaps more people need to start creating some packages and putting
them in one place.  Although it *is* a fact that pretty much everything
I've ever grabbed off ftp sites has built without my shedding any
brain-cells...

 > Also, a nice install program would be a HUGE win.

Hmmm... I've been running my machine since 386bsd-0.0 and all
I ever do is upgrade from the previous version... When I install
a new machine, I do it from an already existing machine, so I'm
not sure I've ever *seen* the install tools.  Consequently, I'm
not very likely to work on them.  I suspect many people are in
this position, so I guess what I'm saying is, "when you have
something to show, let someone know!". :-)