Subject: trouble with inetd and rpc progs
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/1995 15:23:26
I'm having trouble with inetd. I've copied the following
files from /usr/src/etc into /etc to make sure it's standard:
rpc, protocols, services, inetd.conf
When I try to rwall from a different machine to my NetBSD
machine it
a) takes ages for the 'rwall' command to exit on the
	first time but works.
b) fails to work a second time and exits immediatly (without
	mentioning an error on the machine I'm using the command
	from.

At the same time on the machine carrying portmap and inetd and rpc.rwalld
the following happens:

portmap reports
a) "server: about to do a switch" many times
b) "server: about to do a switch" once

and inetd reports
_) when initialising:
	ADD : walld rpcprog=-1, rpcvers = 1/1, proto=rpc/udp, wait.max=1.40, user.group=root.(null) builtin=0 server=/usr/libexec/rpc.rwalld
	pmap_set: 100008 1 17 1976
a)
	"someone wants walld
	1667 execl /usr/libexec/rpc.rwalld
	1667 reaped
	restored walld, fd 25"		many many times
and then syslog says:
	walld/rpc/udp server failing (looping), service terminated
b) inetd reports nothing.

I've recompiled and installed portmap inetd rpc.rwalld
I'm calling up portmap before inetd.
Any hints ?
Cheerio
--
The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity. (unknown)
current	release=doc host=wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"