Subject: Re: Why are there two 4.4BSD dev. groups
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/1995 00:40:40
> > Also, a nice install program would be a HUGE win.
>
>Hmmm... I've been running my machine since 386bsd-0.0 and all
>I ever do is upgrade from the previous version... When I install
>a new machine, I do it from an already existing machine, so I'm
>not sure I've ever *seen* the install tools.  Consequently, I'm
>not very likely to work on them.  I suspect many people are in
>this position, so I guess what I'm saying is, "when you have
>something to show, let someone know!". :-)

Someone a while back was working on some better disk partitioning utilities,
and was discussing it on tech-install.  I'm not sure if he vanished or just
never got any feedback (this is for this i386).

Actually, I think most of us are in this position, because too many people end
up trashing their MS-DOS parition table after trying to get NetBSD installed
and give up.  Of course, it's hard to get people to work on the install tools,
since you essentially have to have a spare machine lying around to test it as
you don't want to risk trashing your main machine.

Working on a better install procedure is actually third on my list of NetBSD
related things to do, right behind getting my soundcard working and writing
this device driver primer.

--Ken