Subject: SCSI probe timeouts?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rafal Boni <r-boni@uiuc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/1995 12:20:42
	Has anyone been seeing SCSI timeouts while probing for devices??

	I have a machine with an AHA-1542C/CF [not 100% sure which, not yet
	wanting to take box apart, as it sits on a rack under a whole bunch
	of heavy stuff], a Quantum PD700S (3110 rev) and a toshiba XM3401-TA
	(0283 rev), both internal.

	What happens is that often when rebooting [which has been a lot, as
	I've been mucking in the kernel] the SCSI bus probe will timeout and
	I will be dumped into the debugger... Usually when this happens the
	HD access light on stays ON until reboot and SCSI bus reset.

	If nobody else is seeing this, I'll get my exercise of the week by
	digging this beast out of under the stack of comms stuff that's
	sitting on it, nad look at termination, etc.

	PS: this is a Dell OptiPLex 466/L and it (and the SCSI bus) works
	just peachy when the probe succeeds.  The DMA speed is 5MB, all
	extra options in the Card's BIOS setup are OFF.  I know it's not
	saying much, but both DOS and Daytona boot with no problems.

							--rafal

| In search of the stress-strain relationship governing  |/|       Rafal Boni |
| students of mechanics... Experimentally.               |\|  r-boni@uiuc.edu |