Subject: Re: Kernel include files
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 01/05/1995 00:56:36
>> There are currently only two things that *have* to be updated in the
>> running system during a build:
>>
>> * /usr/share/mk
>> * /usr/share/tmac
>>
>> Everything else should use the files in $DESTDIR if it's set.

Wow, thanks Charles.  I keep thinking of DESTDIR as a non-used no-op on most
software systems ...

> Actually, if you're willing to punt on the man pages (i.e., do a make with
> NOMAN= set), then you shouldn't need the latter ...  8-)

Ooh, don't tantalize me like that!  :-)

What if I were to propose the idea of having "make" look at an envariable
(e.g., "MAKESYSPATH", or maybe overload the old "VPATH"?) that, if set, would
tell "make" where to look instead of "/usr/share/mk" and (for syspath)
"/usr/share/mk/sys.mk"?  (i.e., overrule _PATH_DEFSYS{MK,PATH})

That way, one could do a build and not even need to overwrite/override
/usr/share/mk ...

Good, bad, just-plain-stupid?

	- Greg