Subject: Re: misc/670: sh path does not include /usr/sbin/rmt
To: None <dan@anarres.mame.mu.oz.au>
From: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1995 14:48:12

> The default startup path for sh doesn't inlude /usr/sbin, so if root's
> shell is sh, programs like dump and tar that try to use rmt(8) from
> another host fail.
>
> The shell started is not a login shell, so .profile is no use, and
> there seems to be no way to get sh to source something at startup to
> add this to the path.
>
> >How-To-Repeat:
>
> rsh host-with-sh-using-root rmt

The programs that use rmt 'should' call it up as "/etc/rmt" which
does exist as a link to /usr/sbin/rmt. If your tar or dump isn't
doing this then I would believe you should fix the tar or dump.
(I know that HPUX and NetBSD both do it correctly for tar)

Cheerio

--
The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity. (unknown)
current	release=doc host=wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"