Subject: Re: NCR/pci problems
To: None <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/29/1994 18:22:37
   (It's an ASUS PCI/E-P54NP4 motherboard---
   Does NetBSD support Dual-Processor (Intel MP-specs) ?)

No; not yet.

   I replaced the Eisa Ultra with my old working Isa SMC until
   I'm told that the 'ed*' driver will work with it too, or have
   time to check it out myself.

The Elite32 uses a different ethernet chip, that is not compatible
with the 8390 series.  I have the documentation *somewhere*.

   I then set about connecting my working internal and external
   drives to the NCR Controller.... which failed....
	   It was set up as INT-A, IRQ 11, no termination on board.
	   it rebooted immediatly after the line "scsibus0 at ncr0".
	   I messed with the cache settings and every else I could find,
	   but it didn't resolve.

This is fixed in the recent batch of SCSI changes I committed.

	   I tried the original kcaha-1.0 file and it booted,
	   recognised the disks, but when I copied the kernel
	   to the harddisk, it just hung on "changing root device"
	   (probably incompatibilties between current and 1.0)

Yah; a 1.0 kernel is just not going to be able to run -current
executables.