Subject: Re: union fs changes
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/29/1994 12:33:46
> 2) rm(1) now has a `-W' option, which removes whiteouts, using the new
> (and probably poorly named) undelete(2).

Yes, this is rather poorly named.   Now would be a good time to fix
it, before we have to provide backwards compatibility.   It seems to
me that at some point we might want a real undelete system call, which
this isn't.   How are whiteouts currently implemented?   Does the
unlink system call create a whiteout, or do you have to do something
special?   In either case, actually, it seems to me that unlink could
be made to do the right thing - if a file exists, white it out; if it
is already a whiteout, remove the whiteout.

I'm sorry to be a nudge about this, but this is actually a big deal to
me and probably a lot of former TWENEX users who would like to think
that some day they'll have a real filesystem again.

			       _MelloN_

--
Ted Lemon							 mellon@vix.com
+1 415 477 5045

Fight to preserve your freedom to program: Join the League for
Programming Freedom!   For info, contact lpf@uunet.uu.net.