Subject: Re: The obvious inherent superiority of SVR4 device naming...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/23/1994 07:39:13
>>> I suppose it's a matter of taste.  I rather like having disk
>>> numbers (the number after "sd") assigned from zero upwards as the
>>> kernel scans the available controllers and target IDs.
>> I worry about automagic stuff like that.  What happens if one of my
>> disks with a low ID dies and the system mounts a data partition as
>> swap?

True, that's a valid danger.

> If it does, it mus be considered as a bug.  Swaping on a partition
> tagged as anything else than "swap" should be prohibited.  At least
> when mounting automagically....

Tagged?  Tagged where?  At least on the SPARC port, and indeed on all
systems I've ever used, swap partitions are not tagged in any way
anywhere, or at least don't have to be (though they are sometimes
marked in /etc/fstab, more often they don't appear at all).

If I configure a kernel "root on sd0a swap on sd0b and sd1b", I can
expect sd0b and sd1b, whatever packs those happen to be part of, to be
toasted as soon as the kernel tries to swap....

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu