Subject: Re: OS/2 80 support
To: John C. Hayward <johnh@david.wheaton.edu>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@ksu.ksu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1994 09:50:02
Verily did "John C. Hayward" write:
> Dear NetBSDers,
>    I have a student of mine who has aquired a OS/2 80 computer
> and wants to set up NetBSD on it.  As I recall 0.9 did not support
> micro channel.  I don't remember any noise that NetBSD supports
> micro channel.
>    What is the status of support for this kind of machine?

Here's a slice from the i386 INSTALL notes:

     NetBSD System Requirements and Supported Devices:
     ------ ------ ------------ --- --------- -------

     NetBSD/i386 1.0 runs on ISA (AT-Bus), EISA, PCI, and VL-bus systems
     with 386-family processors, with or without math coprocessors.  It
     does NOT support MCA systems, such as some IBM PS/2 systems.

As of this time, no.. it doesn't support PS/2 due to the MCA ("Micro
Channel bus").

If memory serves me right, IBM wanted the developer to sign a NDA
("Non Disclosure Agreement") for developers if they wanted specs for
MCA.  Since all source code for NetBSD drivers are totally free, it
would be a violation of that NDA.

(The i386 team might want to comment on this, I'm not totally sure
since I never had a need to write for PS/2's or MCA).

btw:  OS/2 is the operating system, PS/2 is the model of the computer.

> Thanks in advance.
> johnh...

No Problem.

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@ksu.ksu.edu      Life: Rob@Manhattan.Kansas.USA.Earth

"Life's a journey, not a destination."  -- Aerosmith (1993), 'Amazing'