Subject: Re: The obvious inherent superiority of SVR4 device naming...
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@spinne.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1994 09:35:45

> NOT!
>
> > c1d6s0 is a much clearer device name than sd0a
>
> This is a joke, right?   Actually, it sounds like you're serious,
> which just goes to prove that this is another case of baby duck
> syndrome - we like what we learned on.

(From the Sun SD(4S) man page)

     disk sd0 at scsibus0 target 3 lun 0
     disk sd1 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0
     disk sd2 at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0
     disk sd3 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0

(End Man page excerpt)

At least with c1d6s0 I know the Scsi id of the device I'm talking to. On single
controller machines I'd be happy enough with sd0 - If that really meant SCSI
disk 0!

On multiple controller machines c1d6s0 is much better

							David Maxwell
							david@web.net