Subject: Re: The obvious inherent superiority of SVR4 device naming...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solutions.solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1994 19:53:00
Actually, I learned on a BSD system; however, I liked being able to
tell what physical partition I was referring to absolutely; with
BSD, I can't (so far as I can tell) refer to "the third partition,
be it root, swap, ADOS, or regular".  I can refer to the first root
partition, the first swap partition, the whole disk, or the <n>th
not root or swap partition.  I can't figure how you'd name the second
swap partition.

cNdNsN was at least an obvious identifier; it tells you which controller,
which drive, and which partition, unambiguously.  I consider this a
win.

-s
p.s.: I also liked that SCSI device 5 was device 5.  Always.  I don't like
having sd0, cd0, and st0 - in fact, this confused me and made it difficult
for me to install, because unit 5 was sd1.  ???