Subject: Re: /dev/cuaXX & other things
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
From: proprietor - Foo Bar And Grill <greywolf@lonewolf.ithaca.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1994 14:47:27
There seems to be no way to arrive at a consensus for this -- some people
would love long device names, some would love to keep the current
standard.  If we were to try to please everyone simultaneously, we would
hit some SERIOUS software bloat (at least in the source code, and mostly
in the libraries).

My vote is that we keep it the way it is -- it makes sense in its own way
despite the fact that /dev scrolls off the screen (which, FWIW, I don't much
care for either, but it's a trade-off).

#define AUTHOR "woods@kuma.web.net (Greg A. Woods)"

/*
 *
 * > I thought there was one master pty per slave?
 *
 * Not with a streams based clone driver....

do you mean "streams" as in "bstreams" (Berkeley streams), or do
you mean "STREAMS" ("STREAMS means two different things depending upon
whether or not you are shouting..." -- unknown)?

If you mean "bstreams", okay...but if you mean "STREAMS" (qv. SVR4),
my next question is "What are they doing here?  Berkeley built a MUCH
better stream-device module."

 *
 * > Does anyone else out there /despise/always/typing/long/filenames/for/devices?
 * > /dev/ttyp0 is fine for me...
 *
 * I don't particularly like really long filenames, but I *DO* like
 * structure and organization, and separating like things into
 * subdirectories make a hell of a lot of sense to me, and seems to me to
 * present a good deal more structure and organization than I see in any
 * BSD to date.

Perhaps we should have it #ifdef NEWDEV at compile time -- when you make
the world, and the libraries, have it create a new MAKEDEV which does
The Right Thing, and have all the libraries reference The Right Thing
(the kernel doesn't care what you call it, just about dev numbers, so
that's a convenient non-issue).

I want /dev/ttyp?, /dev/tty*, /dev/{r,}?d[0-9]*[a-h], myself.
But that's just me.

 *
 * --
 * 						Greg A. Woods
 *
 * +1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP		robohack!woods
 * Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; UniForum Canada <woods@uniforum.ca>
 *
 *
 *
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "woods@kuma.web.net (Greg A. Woods)" */

--
 ______________ ___   ________ _____WHO: Greywolf (unto death)
/ ___\ _ \ __\ V / \  / /__ \| | __/WHAT: UNIX System Mangler...er, Admin