Subject: Re: /dev/cuaXX & other things
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
From: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@nirvana.good.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1994 15:47:57
> > SVR4 (evil word on these lists?) has started something which would be an
> > ok place to look, and modify.  Personally, I don't like c1d2s3p5 (or
> > whatever it is) for every disk partition.  However, something like:
>
> In case it escaped your attention, the SysV device names are extremely
> descriptive (and thus useful), esp. for SCSI devices.  For example,
> c1t2d0s5 is {controller-1}, {scsi_target-2}, {disk_unit-0}, and
> {partition/slice-5}.  Hard to forget what physical thing that name
> points to, eh?

Realistically, I don't think this will happen, however, its your system.
With config.new, I believe it's possible to "wire down" disk
devices to SCSI targets with a syntax like:

aha0	at is? slot ? irq ?
scsibus0 at aha0
sd0 at scsibus 0 target 0 lun 0

etc.  Then you can:

	mkdir /dev/dsk
	mkdir /dev/rdsk
	ln -s /dev/sd0a /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0
	ad. inf.

So you have the ability to reference things as you like and no
source changes required for the rest of the BSDer's.

Similar things can be done with the ttys, although ps/etc will continue
to show a a8 form, but you have source to those too...

Ironically, SysVR4 goes to so much trouble to wire down the disk devices, but
they still have /dev/rmt/0, /dev/rmt/1, etc...
--
Mark