Subject: Re: C vs. Prototypes...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@intran.xerox.com>
From: Jim Wise <wisej@acf4.NYU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1994 16:11:28
On Mon, 19 Dec 1994, Peter Seebach wrote:

> Agreed, gcc is monolithic, but I like* having those checks run automatically
> for me, most of the time.  I wouldn't mind having them be a compile time
> option in gcc, though, so you could build nogcc (No Options Gnu C Compiler)
> which had -g, -O, and maybe -ansi, and just ran*.
>
> -s

Better yet...make the syntax checker a stand-alone module, called by the
central driver, much as the pre-processor, translator, assembler, and
linker are.  It could be called as part of the compile process iff any
-W options were chosen, or used as a stand-alone.  This won't happen,
however, because the syntax checks rely on a lot of internal information
that is rolling around during compilation (this is why, for example,
certain warnings are only available if optimisation is turned on.
Mind you, I am not criticizing gcc -- it is a remarkably useful tool, and
I myself tend to use the warnings.  I am merely speculating idly about
how things might be improved...

				Jim Wise
				wisej@acf4.nyu.edu