Subject: Re: /dev/cuaXX & other things
To: Computo Ergo Checksum <greywolf@lonewolf.ithaca.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1994 10:32:57
[ On Tue, December 20, 1994 at 17:13:57 (-0800), Computo Ergo Checksum wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /dev/cuaXX & other things
>
> To those of us who have been born and raised on BSD UNIX from day 1,
> /dev/{device}/{number}/{device-files} is pretty evil-looking.  I mean,
> from my own point of view, this was one of the things that was
> horrid about SVRx (not to mention that one could, until recently, back-
> space over one's prompt, but that's another story...).

Well, it all depends.  I don't like to have "ls -l /dev" flow off the
top of my screen, especially if my screen is 66 lines long!!!!

Also, unless you're doing a lot of systems programming, you shouldn't
have to type long device names.

> One of the things I absolutely abhor about Solaris/SVR4 is that they have
> a /devices directory, and everything in /dev is symlinked to
> /devices/some/long/horrid/name, and then to make it BSD compatible
> (what a joke), they link some stuff in /dev to some other stuff in /dev.
> It's pretty gross.

That is gross!

> BSD != SVR4.

BSD != SVR4 != Solaris-2

> I thought there was one master pty per slave?

Not with a streams based clone driver....

> Does anyone else out there /despise/always/typing/long/filenames/for/devices?
> /dev/ttyp0 is fine for me...

I don't particularly like really long filenames, but I *DO* like
structure and organization, and separating like things into
subdirectories make a hell of a lot of sense to me, and seems to me to
present a good deal more structure and organization than I see in any
BSD to date.

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP		robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; UniForum Canada <woods@uniforum.ca>