Subject: Vi oddity
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/14/1994 14:15:03
Has anyone else noticed the following vi oddity (before I send-pr it):

^D does not always back out one indent stop when in auto-indent mode.

I use a 4-space indent, which vi implements using spaces and tabs (8-character
tabs).  If my ^D backs out over 4 spaces, it works.  If it should back out
over a tab (replacing it with spaces) then it won't, at first.  The first
^D is effectively ignored.  If I type ^D again, it is honored.

This does not always happen.  If I am closing a bunch of nested '}'s,
then it pretty well always happens.  It seems that if I type in more code
after closing a '}', then it usually doesn't happen.  I have yet to do
more experimenting...

(I know, I know, switch to Emacs... :-)

--
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
           email: dej@eecg.toronto.edu, finger for PGP public key