Subject: Re: Why have disktab entries for SCSI at all?
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/1994 22:43:06
On December 13, Charles M. Hannum wrote:
>    How about a tool that would generate a prototype disktab entry from
>    MODE SELECT data?
>
> That *still* doesn't deal with the partition info, which is the
> primary use of disktab to begin with.  You can't divine that
> information.  (Hell; you don't even need a label if all you want to do
> is access the raw disk.)

  On one of my VAXen at home, I'm running Ultrix v3.1 (it's all I
have) and it does a pretty decent job of calculating default partition
tables for new (unlabeled) disks.  I've got an Emulex QD32 disk
controller, which sits in a Q-bus and emulates two RA-series MSCP
disks.  After formatting a new disk of arbitrary geometries, I boot up
Ultrix, and the RA device driver comes up with its own partition table
for the disk.  It usually does a pretty good job.

  Is this something that would be practical for NetBSD to do?  Or even
desirable?

                           Regards,
                            -Dave McGuire
                             Operations