Subject: Re: Why have disktab entries for SCSI at all?
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@s069.infonet.net>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/1994 09:23:03
	I can see how your system works well, but consider a site where we have
a number of types of disks and several instances of those types of disks.
It is extremely useful to have a database (disktab) of disk types with
various configurations which we can use.  Not only do we not have to
remember what we called the file containing the description of the disk,
but after the initial time it takes to calculate the relevant parameters
for a drive and to come up with some basic configurations, we can disklabel
a bunch of disks quickly.  I conceed that the method I use requires some
initial set up time with paper and calculator, but once the task is done, I
know I have an entry that I can use again and again with confidence.
	Contrast this with a bunch of Sun machines we have around here
running SunOS 4.1.x.  We don't bother to write format.dat entries for these
disks, and, thanks to a bug in format which prevents you from using the
alternate (backup) label if it doesn't match the primary label, we have
been burned by this policy on more than one occasion.
	In short, I like the disktab system because of the history mechanism
it provides by allowing me to accumulate disktab entries.  As I label more
disks, I generate what amounts to an expert system on drive geometries, and
useful partition information.  Great for restoring trashed disk labels and
lost partition information in a pinch.
-Brian