Subject: A note about kernel builds
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/11/1994 09:21:10
Since this just bit someone I know, I thought I'd mention it...

If you notice some lossage in the kernel, especially the more serious
it is, you should always do a `make clean; make' in your kernel
compile directory and try a completely fresh build before you report
it.

There are a few common reasons things might break, which are beyond
our control:

1) SUP backdates files, which can confuse make(1).  (You might want to
turn this off, though I think currently you have to modify the SUP
source to do it.)

2) Dependencies change over time, or you might not have even run `make
depend'.

3) The phase of the moon is wrong.  B-)

This will help avoid us wasting time trying to track down a problem
that's really due to building with inconsistent sources.