Subject: 'novell compliant' ethernet cards
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Michaelson <G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1994 17:43:41
I have a Singaporean sourced VLB Ethernet card that comes with
shining references for novell compliance, but appears to be failing
the generic ed* boot probes.

I think i've stuffed the irq/drq/iomem/base, but assuming I haven't
how 'compliant' are these kinds of thing? Its citing an AMD chipset
for the ethernet driver, I didn't see any code that directly referenced
that in the probe options for the if_*.c sources.

Is there a sensible recipe for testing a cards viability under NetBSD
apart from repetitive kernel make/install cycles? I was hoping a
packet driver guru might be able to advise some Dos/Windows games that
would let me sort out what it *really* thinks it is...

(next time you spec a *BSD PC architecture box, *spec* it, don't just
 bang up a wishlist like I did: I'm going to demand SMC chipset next time...)

-George