Subject: Re: CTIX architecture
To: I presume I need no introduction. <greywolf@lonewolf.ithaca.com>
From: John E. Clark <jclark@synergy.encinitas.ca.us>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/1994 18:16:45
At 10:51 AM 12/8/94 -0800, "I presume I need no introduction."
<greywolf@lonewolf.ithaca.c wrote:
>Didn't the *very* first release of BSD swap full images as well as do
>paging?  I thought that BSD was capable of complete swaps as far forward
>as 4.1 (but my memory may be failing me -- I was a newbie just at the
>release point of 4.2.  Man, talk about a slow system!).

I was thinking about VAX'es as a target for which a thing called un*x V-32
was for. But it is true that Sun-1,2's were running some form of BSD like
thing...
As I didn't ever have access ot a V-32 source...and only had the imfamous
New Zealand V6 listing...I presumed the early BSD were taking advantage of
the VAX's
paging capabilities....

>How much would it take to decouple the paging code as a compile-time
>option (dependent on config and, of course, the CPU type)?

Beat's me....it never occured to me to even think of such a thing...

John Clark
clark@synergy.encinitas.ca.us