Subject: The NetBSD watch! (was: Why I wanted to tweak tickadj)
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1994 21:34:49
Greg A. Woods writes:

>[ On Tue, December  6, 1994 at 13:23:34 (-0500), der Mouse wrote: ]

>> needing xntpd running or even connectivity to the net.  (One thing I've
>> occasionally dreamed of is a wristwatch which takes sub-minute time
>> adjustments as data from which to deduce the low bits of its crystal's
>> frequency, so that after you resync it to an accurate source (like the
>> radio time signal, or your NTP-synced computer), you longer need to
>> keep resetting it as it drifts.)

>Well!  I'm not the only one to dream of such a thing!
>My colleague Peter Renzland and I have been talking about such a "toy"
>for quite a few years now.....

There are several external things that make this not entirely
attainable.  Temperature, battery condition, etc. can all make the
oscillator frequency drift slightly at certain points in time.  You'd
have to readjust at regular intervals.

   Michael L. VanLoon     michaelv@HeadCandy.com     michaelv@iastate.edu
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.
     Working NetBSD ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4c, PC532
               In progress: DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), VAX, Sun4m