Subject: Re: Change of mpid to static nextpid in /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_fork.c?
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@vitruvius.arbld.unimelb.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/04/1994 21:11:45
In some email I received from Chris G Demetriou, they wrote:

> > [discussion about nextpid and mpid]
> > Any idea why this little guy is no longer a global?
[...]
> it's unclear to me why it's worthwhile to have the next pid to be
> assigned (or last pid assigned) known.  I can't think of any _use_ of
> this data (except possible to excite somebody sitting in front of
> their machine, bored out of their mind, watching 'w'.  8-)

It can be quite entertaining to watch when you're waiting for it to get
to 29,999 in an effort to get a background process as close as possible
to this number whilst not cheating (writing a program to do it for you :).

The purpose of course, is to defeat 'w' (which sorts output on highest
pid :).  How on earth could something this dull be entertaining ?  Well,
when you're bored...:-)

cheers,
darren