Subject: Re: NetBSD /dev/audio
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@novatel.ca>
From: George Michaelson <G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/02/1994 10:50:58
John Brezak is doing a complete rewrite of the SB driver decomposed into
sayers, that permits a clean separation of MIDI and codec, and seems to
point into quite distinct cards well (he's using PSS, I've been playing
with PAS-16)

Short term, there was a problem with the stock NetBSD sb driver that
it used the wrong select call in conf.c and I found once that was fixed
the cat file > /dev/audio worked well.

I have never seen recording work. the PAS-16 manual and inline comments
in the code suggests there are very silly aspects to PC sound hardware.

I'd suggest givin John a little more breathing space to get his experimental
driver up-to-speed before attempting a complete rewrite or munging linux
code in.

Please also consider the Multicast! there's deployed code out there that
expects certain behaviour of /dev/audio different to people playing .WAV
files...

-George