Subject: Problems with symlinks and nfs with 1.0
To: None <current-users@telecom.ksu.edu>
From: None <jmc@telecom.ksu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/25/1994 01:02:31
I don't have the disk space currently to hold both source and then be
able to remake everything so I nfs mount the source tree over nfs and slip.

Then, I build a link tree of the source in /usr/src/obj and then
linked the Makefile and top level source dirs back into /usr/src.

cd'ing into /usr/src/include and doing a make install will hang when it
trys to run the pax command. The find subcommand never gets run, and it
just sits there sleeping.

However if I cd to /mnt/include where it's mounted and do a make install
from there it works without any problems. The symlink picture for /usr/src
looks like this then:

/usr/src/include/Makefile -> /usr/src/obj/include/Makefile ->
 /mnt/include/Makefile

That's only 3 levels deep, and I can do ls's and various other file
handling tasks just fine, but the make install is hanging up for some reason.

Any ideas?

James