Subject: crypt(3)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/1994 13:14:03
I picked up 1.0 source from gatekeeper,
/pub/BSD/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0/source/*, unpacked it all, and did "make
build" in /usr/src.  Next time I tried to log in, though, I got a nasty
surprise:

login: mouse
Password:
WARNING!  crypt(3) not present in the system!
Login incorrect
login:

Examining /usr/src/lib/libcrypt makes it clear what's going on here.
But why?  I thought DES variants used for user authentication were
exportable?

If this _is_ because of export restrictions, would anyone be interested
in a one-way function for passwords that I built on top of md5?  Since
it has nothing to do with any encryption method, it should be fully
exportable from everywhere.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu