Subject: any words of wisdom on using the audio driver?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@ksr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/1994 14:09:20
I may have discovered a kludge to allow my ProAudioSpectrum 16 to work
with the NetBSD SoundBlaster driver[1].  It seems to work emulating
the speaker (I get a beep in the headphones when I echo ^G), but if I
cat a Sun audio file to /dev/audio, it hangs (just the cat, not the
whole machine).  I don't know if this is a driver bug, an emulation
bug, or perhaps just a broken audio file; any suggestions?

[1] Specify "W:0" on the DOS driver command line in CONFIG.SYS (the
manual gave a hint about Quadtel motherboards needing a /W switch to
avoid the warm-boot reset; of course, "/W" is rejected by the driver
program).  This allows the SoundBlaster emulation to survive booting
into UNIX.