Subject: Re: YAAPACW
To: I can teach you how to fish... <greywolf@autodesk.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/1994 20:21:34
>    - Since every time you run config{,.new}, you need to cd to the compile
>      directory and run make depend, why does config not automagically
>      run the make depend for you?  It reminds you every time you run it:
>      "Don't forget to run \"make depend\"."
>
>      It would be trivial to add this and probably a bit more in-line with
>      the present day.  Are there times when you run config and don't want to
>      run "make depend" in ../compile/!$ ?

``Config'' configs, it doesn't make.  I don't think it really has any
business runnig a make depend.  That's what scripts are for.

Here's my home-grown ``doconfig'' script:

     ---------- >8 ----- Begin doconfig ----- 8< ----------
#!/bin/sh

#
# By Michael VanLoon <michaelv@iastate.edu>
#
# Use at your own risk.  No warranty implied.  Mileage may vary.
#
# Usage: doconfig CONFIGFILENAME
#

if [ $# -ne 1 -o ! -f $1 ]; then
    echo "USAGE: doconfig CONFIGFILE"
    exit 1
fi

arch=`machine`
conf=$1
export MAKEFLAGS='-j4'

if [ -f /sys/arch/$arch/compile/$conf/Makefile ]; then
    echo '   *** make clean ***   '
    cd /sys/arch/$arch/compile/$conf
    make clean
else
    echo '   *** skipping make clean -- new kernel config ***   '
fi

echo '   *** config ***   '
cd /sys/arch/$arch/conf
config $conf || {
    echo '!!!*** Error in config file:' $conf '***!!!'
    exit 2
}

echo '   *** make depend ***   '
cd /sys/arch/$arch/compile/$conf
make depend || {
    echo '!!!*** Error in make depend ***!!!'
    exit 3
}

echo '   *** make ***   '
make || {
    echo '!!!*** Error in make ***!!!'
    exit 4
}

echo '   *** kernel build completed successfully ***   '
ls -lgF ./netbsd /netbsd*
size ./netbsd /netbsd*

exit 0

   Michael L. VanLoon     michaelv@HeadCandy.com     michaelv@iastate.edu
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.
     Working NetBSD ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4c, PC532
               In progress: DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), VAX, Sun4m