Subject: Re: NeXT?
To: None <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
From: Theodore F. Vaida ][ <tfv0@Lehigh.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 11/03/1994 22:48:02
In message <199411032215.AA08436@rocinante.digex.net> Dave McGuire writes:
>   But in the opinion of many, there are a lot of things in the BSD
> side of NeXTStep that are broken, and the underlying MACH is slow as

Almost everything onthe BSD side is borken, the real problem with the NeXT
system is that it insists on using the NetInfo system which runs a pseudo inetd
anmed etc. which are NOT compatible with regular networks.  I dont know how to
configure it to link with our system (can only use ip numbers ugh) and so its
hardly uasable to offload services from out busy main server.  Fancy xterminal
server is all it seems to serve.

Please do lets get a NeXT group together.  I'd be more than willing to donate a
few nights of coding etc.  if anyone has hardware docs and things that need
done.  Anyone at netbsd.org wanna setup a NeXT group so that the 386 people dont
have to listen to us *grin*.

                                                             Ted

"Trust no one and be honest with all" - Dad, from "Claudious the God"
     - Paranoid but it will keep you out of trouble
Sig Light: less bits, same witt.   |    In Hoc Signo Vinces
Finger pubkey@128.180.2.113 for my PGP key, or HELP@128.180.2.113
if no response, try later, the line is not dedicated