Subject: Install failure
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Craig M. Chase <chase@merlin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/03/1994 19:44:09
Hello all.

I am sending this mail from an Intel Pentium (P5-60) machine with a
ncr0 scsi device and a Seagate ST3620N (520meg) drive, 32 meg of RAM
running NetBSD 1.0 (from about Oct 16th).

Runs great!

problem is, I'm trying to duplicate the installation on another
Pentium P5-60, and I'm stuck.

After completing all the extraction, and installing my kernel, I
can not boot the system off the SCSI disk.

It autoconfigs just fine, but hangs at the
"changing root device to sd0a"
message.

What is the most likely thing that I have done wrong?

Some further info:
The kernel appears to work just fine.  It's the same kernel I'm using
on this system (merlin.ece.utexas.edu).  In fact, if I boot this
kernel on floppy (using the install filesystem floppy), pretty much
everything runs fine.  I can fsck and mount the SCSI partitions.
i.e.
 ... changing root device to fd0a
 ... WARNING no swap space found
etc.

# fsck /dev/rsd0a
# mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
# fsck /dev/rsd0e
# mount /dev/sd0e /mnt/usr
# chroot /mnt
# man man
(works just fine, get's the shared libs and everything)

Thanks for your help.

Craig

--
Craig Chase --- Assistant Professor