Subject: Re: Paralell IP Protocol (via par. LapLink cable)
To: current-users@NetBSD.ORG, Martin Husemann <martin@euterpe.owl.de>
From: None <klee@rdcclink.rd.qms.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/1994 11:01:35

We had a discussion about plip (IP via a LapLink cable, sort of null-modem
cable for centronics, transmitting 4 bit at each step) a long time ago
(before the archives started), but I can't remember we came to a conclusion
that time. And I think noone realy did a driver for this yet.

Now I'm on this notebook and we don't have any drivers for any parallel
ethernet adapter as far as I know. So I started experimenting with a
driver.

BUT: there seems to be no real standard protocol. The Crynwr packet driver
for DOS seems to be the original implementation, the Linux driver is not
compatible with it. I've heard rumours about a Mach driver, but haven't
looked at that.

<<<<
There is IEEE standard for bidirectional parallel communication, IEEE1284, which
can communicate in byte and nibble mode.  You could probably implement that on
NetBSD and DOS.

Kang