Subject: re: new machine won't reboot automatically
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Parker <brad@stemwinder.fcr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/31/1994 19:59:43
I finally figured out why my new machine wouldn't reboot (486/33, 8mb,
netbsd-current, 2 x IDE drives)

Turns out that the sync comm card I'm using is being accessed in 16
bit mode and is not reset to 8 bit mode when not active.  This was a
bug in it's driver.  I'm writing this just to remind others of the
potential problem - someone suggested that I had a motherboard which
would halt instead of reset.  This was not the case.

(the observant will remember that share memory ethernet cards have the
same problem and their drivers go to pains to ensure they are 'left'
in 8 bit mode when not active)

I fixed the driver to reset the card after attaching and when closed
and now that machine reboots fine.

(there is a short description of this problem in if_ed.c; I'm not
familiar enough with the ISA bus to describe it correctly, but it
appears to be a conflict with 8 bit cards in the same 128k address
space)

-brad

ps: I've built and installed from current as of yesterday - went fine.