Subject: Re: gcc-ansi -pedantic and long long on NetBSD
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
From: None <jmc@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/1994 16:16:23

>> 1. Fix gcc so the -pedantic doesn't choke on long long anymore (I
>>    suppose that some ANSI version of C will support 64bit ints)
>
>This is probably the solution.  it's unclear that ANSI will support
>64bit ints in any reasonable fashion, though.

I disagree here, -pedantic is there to show you things that are not strictly
ANSI C and are gcc extensions. Since long long is a gcc extension fixing
-pedantic to ignore it kind of makes -pedantic useless. The better solution
is as the man page says: Use __extension__ or use the __ keywords for
the offending parts.

>> 2. Fix the NetBSD headers so that they only use strict ansi types when
>>    -pedantic is used
>
>that's not at all practical; 64-bit ints are fundamental to some of
>the prototypes, etc., in the system.  if the prototypes aren't there,
>you'll lose.

There are ways around this, see above.

James