Subject: MS-DOS mount fixed [FAQ, Dave]
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/28/1994 05:49:53
Hmm, I just finished getting mount_msdos to work... it was returning
EINVAL ("Invalid argument") to me.  I quickly realized this might be
due to the offset needed by the partition table (MS-DOS is the first
hard partition).  So I put 16384 in the offset field, incorrectly.
It should have been 32 (sectors), of course, not 16384 (the correct
number in bytes).
After making this small change (and having to edit the disklabel by hand,
since it ignored tf=MS-DOS from the disktab), mount_msdos was able to
read my MS-DOS disk.  I have not stress-tested it yet :)

I didn't recall anything like this in the FAQ, I thought it might be
appropriate.
I had to do a similar method (putting 16384) in the offset field in the
config file of mtools to get it to work, back in the days of 386bsd-0.1
and NetBSD-0.8, although many people swore to me that I didn't need such
an offset.  However, mtools wouldn't work without it.

I'm very pleased with the new ability!
--
Respond to vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu